Monday, January 17, 2011

A Few Notes on a Quotation

This was just shared with me by an associate the other day:

"Until one is committed there is always hesitancy,
the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness,
concerning all acts of initiative and creation.
There is one elementary truth,
the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:
The moment one definitely commits oneself,
then providence moves in too.
All sorts of things occur to help that would never otherwise have occurred.
A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising to one’s favor all manner of unforeseen accidents and meetings
and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would come his way.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
-Goethe

Don't you just hate it when someone says something WAY better than you could ever have said it?

To sum up: It's really scary to ACT on a whim, even though you know you've got the support of All of Heaven because once you step down that path, it's all going to fall into place in ways you couldn't possibly imagine, and THEN where will you be? So then we just don't do ANYTHING, which is kind of a mess.
Okay, well it's not exactly subtext, but you can extrapolate. Humor me, okay?

It's really easy for me to listen to guidance, to listen for definitive Guidance. But often I get caught right up with worrying about hearing it right or interpreting the signs or doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing. The truth is, we decide what we want to do, and we must ACT on a decision, for better or for worse, in order for the Universe to act upon our behalf, not the other way around. I mean, half the time Guidance is just the Higher Self brainstorming anyway. It isn't just a manual for personal satisfaction, right? I've spent plenty of time acting (or not acting) on the misconception that I just wasn't receiving the proper instructions. Actually, nothing was happening because I wasn't actually doing anything...

Recently I've realized this about my practice. I'm sitting in the orchard waiting for my basket to fill up, when there are beautiful, ripe apples, pendulous, on every tree within my view. The ladder is unfolded to one side, inviting. And yet, I've been sitting very still, expectant, waiting for them all to leap from the branches. And all this time I've wondered why my basket is empty.

This new year I've rededicated myself to building my practice, to reaching out, to act on my dreams and visions instead of just waiting for my clients to decide what it is I want to be when I grow up. And the result has been astounding. Even my darkest moment, when I had just about thrown in the towel altogether (which was, I think, Monday), has now become a banquet table of options with a fountain of creativity at it's center; it's shaped like a swan!

My lesson this week reflects directly on Herr Goethe's verse: you can dream and scheme all you want, but when Harvest Time is here, all of Nature supports the commitment to make that apple pie, whatever it takes, and that includes setting one foot on the ladder and beginning to climb.


Peace,
Darcy Molloy,
Namaha Healing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment